Sunday, April 14, 2013

Religious Headscarfs In Lolita

Hello dear readers! I wanted to discuss something I feel very strongly about today. Specifically in regards to Muslim lolitas, religious headscarfs obviously play a huge role. I would like to take a second to acknowledge I will be saying "headscarfs" instead of "hijab" because, contrary to popular belief by many non-Islamic people, not all Islamic headscarfs are hijabs. Also as a note to that note, I am aware that "hijabs" is not technically the plural of "hijab" but I chose to use it for simplicity/clarity with non-Islamic readers. 

I've seen many people who protest that headscarfs "don't belong in lolita" or "look bad/weird/unusual with lolita". I am here to personally show you and tell you just how wrong you are. There are not many headscarf wearing lolitas, at least not with an internet presence. The ones that are present though are tasteful and know how to work their headscarf into a coord seamlessly. 

And why wouldn't they? The majority of Islamic women coordinate their headscarfs to their outfits everyday. Lolita is a fashion, like any, and if they can make it work in everyday outfits why couldn't they do the same with lolita? 

It is important to respect religious beliefs and values, especially those that present themselves in such bold ways. The headscarfs are a choice, one these women made willingly and consciously. They are not "oppressed" or "unhappy" or whatever other nonsense people seem to believe so willingly about Islamic women. 

That all said, here are a few of my favorite coords done with headscarfs.

Sources: x (most of these outfits. I'm a bit of a fangirl.) x x x
















































2 comments:

Bella-Marie said...

I agree :) For a start I think they look really good! I clicked on this post not expecting the look to work but it's adorable! Also the Muslim headscarf is considered to represent modesty, and what's more modest than the ladylike, innocent fashion of lolita? :) They're more than entitled to wear whatever they want, it would be ridiculous to say otherwise! :)

Bella xxx

Kayla said...

Thank you! I'm glad you agree. I know many people are skeptical but it really does work as long as it is matched to the outfit the same way say, a wig, or a hair piece, or anything else would be!